Single Sprinkler Head Controls Fire in Kitchen in Hospital Accommodation


At just before 19:45 on the evening of Monday 3rd February, a kitchen fire occurred in a pan containing cooking oil at a medium to high rise accommodation block for nurses and doctors in Grosvenor Way, Wandsworth, London.

The occupier sadly suffered steam burns when, contrary to all safety advice issued in such circumstances, they threw water on to the blazing pan.

A single sprinkler head, situated in the kitchen of the Towns mains fed residential sprinkler system actuated to control the fire. Two fire crews attended but were not required to take any further fire-fighting action. Fire damage was recorded as less than 5 m2